So today(Thursday) I visited Uptown, highly recommended by one of my friends. Uptown is a dive bar(meaning for neighbors mostly).
A few bar guides were suggesting that on a working day bars are empty and you can have a nice chat with a bartender. It was not the case for me, maybe Thursday is a day off in San Francisco – who knows?
Also I’ve been there with the intention of trying a formalized(ha-ha, I’m a nerd) socializing process I’ve picked up somewhere on youtube:
- Walk around the place
- Have eye contacts with people in the bar
- Use conversation starters
- Don’t stick with the same set of people for too long(you can always return later)
So the log:
- Entered and had a walk
- No eye contacts at all – everybody in tight groups doing something
- $8 tequilla + cider + tip
- $1 -> pinball, yay!
- 3 newjoiners at the pool -> I can bee 4th
- A game, nice chat -> mission accomplished
A few conversation starters:
- Off-the-wall stuff(e.g. do you need 4th person for the pool game)
- Where are you from(I hear that in first 30 seconds during 99% conversations)
- What’s your name / my name is xxx (I’m xxx for some reason does not work well for me – have to reiterate :) )
- What you’ve seen so far / what can you recommend
- How you’ve met / where do you know each other from
P.S. Uptown itself was the most pleasant experience for me so far – cheap, relaxed people, pool/pinball, music does not interfere with conversations.
Photo credit goes to noisejockey.